Time limit for filing belated and revised return reduced to three months – Budget 2021-22
Sub-sections (4) and (5) of section 139 of the Act contain provisions relating to the filing of belated and revised returns of income respectively.
At present the belated or revised returns could be filed before the end of the assessment year or before the completion of the assessment whichever is earlier.
In view of the technological upgrade in the Income Tax Department and moving towards becoming faceless and jurisdiction-less, the time taken to conduct and complete such processes creates hindrances.
Therefore, the Budget 2021-22 has proposed that the last date for filing of belated or revised returns of income, as the case may be, be reduced by three months. Thus the belated return or revised return could now be filed three months before the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier.
These amendments will take effect from 1st April, 2021 and will accordingly apply to the assessment year 2021-22 and subsequent assessment years
- SEBI (LODR) (2nd Amendment) Regulations 2021. Secretarial compliance report mandatory for listed companies
- CBDT notifies five sovereign wealth funds u/s 10(23FE)
- MCA clarification on spending CSR funds for COVID care infrastructure, establishment of oxygen plants
- RBI relaxes norms for periodic updation of KYC by banks. Accounts operations not to be restricted till 31.12.2021
- CBDT prescribes limit & condition for exemption of value received in lieu of Travel Concession