Non-rejection of explanation in Assessment Order amounts to AO accepting it hence no reopening on change of opinion. SC upholds High Court judgment
ABCAUS Case Law Citation:
ABCAUS 3322 (2020) (06) SC
In a recent judgment, the Hon’ble Supreme Court had dismissed the Special Leave Petition filed by the Revenue against the judgment of the High Court quashing the notice for reopening issued u/s 148 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 (the Act).
In the instant case, during the course of the assessment proceedings u/s 143(2), certain queries were raised by the Assessing Officer (AO) on which were duly responded and replied to by the assessee and after considering said responses, the assessment order was passed by the Assessing Officer.
Subsequently, a notice was issued u/s 148 of the Act seeking to re-open the case.
The assessee challenged the said notice issued u/s 148 of the Act before the Hon’ble High Court.
Non-rejection of explanation in Assessment Order amounts to acceptance
The Hon’ble High Court observed that the notice was issued with respect to the very issue in respect of which the Assessing Officer, had raised the query during the assessment proceedings and the Petitioner had responded to the same by its letters justifying its stand.
The Hon’ble High Court held that the non-rejection in the Assessment Order of the explanation tendered by the assessee would amount to the Assessing Officer accepting the view of the assessee by taking a view/forming an opinion. Therefore, the reasons in support of the notice proceed on a mere change of opinion and therefore would be completely without jurisdiction.
Accordingly, the Hon’ble High Court had quashed and set-aside the notice.
The Hon’ble Supreme Court while passing the judgment stated that there was no reason to interfere in the matter.
Download Full Judgment Click Here >>
- MEIS applications for Shipping bills with Let Export date from 01.04.2019 to 31.03.2020 can be submitted without any late cut upto 30.09.2021.
- Basic Savings Account can be opened under Post Office Savings Account Scheme 2019
- IBBI (Pre-packaged Insolvency Resolution Process) Regulations 2021
- GSTN Advisory on GST Payment under QRMP Scheme, for the month of March, 2021
- CBDT Instruction 1916 takes into account quantity of jewellery generally held by family members of a Hindu Family