CBDT warns officials on contact with Press and airing views on official matters either in their own name or in pseudonymous names.
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
(Central Board of Direct Taxes)
460, Hotel Samrat, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi, 20th March, 2017
All Pr. Chief Commissioners of Income Tax (CCAs)
All Pr. Director Generals of Income Tax
Subject:-Contact with the Press and airing of views on official matters through the Press.
It has been observed that some Government servants have been unauthorisedly communicating with the Press either in their own name or in pseudonymous names. Instructions have been issued from time to time restraining all Government servants from communicating with the Press unauthorisedly but it is observed that the provisions of the Conduct Rules are not being followed in letter and spirit.
2. The provisions of Rule 11 of the CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1965 and Rule 9 of the AIS (Conduct) Rules, 1968 referred to above and paras 110 and 113 of the Manual of Office Procedure may be brought to the notice of all It is once again reiterated that violation of the provisions of Conduct Rules and other corresponding provisions amounts to a serious misconduct and is liable to appropriate action (including disciplinary action). The concerned cadre controlling authorities are advised to view such misconduct seriously.
3. The employees under your Charge may, therefore, be suitably informed of the aforesaid instructions under the Conduct Rules issued by DoPT and refrain from communicating with the Press and airing of views on official matters.
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of India (Admn.), CBDT
Copy for information to:-
- PPS to Revenue Secretary, North Block, New Delhi.
- PPS to Chairperson, CBDT, North Block, New
- PPS to Member (P&V), CBDT, North Block, New Delhi
- Data Base Cell for uploading on website of Income Tax Department & IRS online.