CBIC instructions for recovery of interest on net cash tax liability under GST
F. No. CBEC- 20/01/08/2019-GST
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
GST Policy Wing
Room No. 159A,
North Block, New Delhi,
Dated: 18th September, 2020
The Principal Chief Commissioners/Chief Commissioners/Principal Commissioners/
Commissioners of Central Tax (All)
The Principal Director Generals/Director Generals (All)
Madam / Sir,
Subject: Administrative instructions for recovery of interest on net cash tax liability w.e.f. 01.07.2017 -reg.
Based on the recommendations of the 35th meeting of the GST Council held on 21st June, 2019, the provision of section 50 was amended vide section 100 of the Finance (No. 2) Act, 2019 to provide for charging interest on the net cash tax liability. The said amendment was to be made effective from a date to be notified by the Government. Accordingly, the said provision was made effective vide notification No. 63/2020 — Central Tax dated the 25th August. 2020, w.e.f. 01.09.2020.
2. The GST Council, in its 39th meeting, held on 14th March, 2020 recommended interest to be charged on the net cash tax liability w.e.f. 01.07.2017 and accordingly, recommended the amendment of section 50 of the CGST Act retrospectively w.e.f. 01.07.2017. The retrospective amendment in the GST laws would be carried out in due course through suitable legislation.
3. Post issuance of notification 63/2020 — Central Tax dated the 25th August, 2020, there were apprehensions raised by taxpayers that the said notification is issued contrary to the Council’s recommendation to charge interest on net cash liability w.e.f. 01.07.2017. Consequently, a press release, dated 26.08.2020 was issued to clarify the position. Further, in order to implement the decision of the Council in its true spirit, and at the same time working within the present legal framework, it has been decided to address the issue through administrative arrangements, as under:
a. For the period 01.07.2017 to 31.08.2020, field formations in your jurisdiction may be instructed to recover interest only on the net cash tax liability (i.e. that portion of the tax that has been paid by debiting the electronic cash ledger or is payable through cash ledger); and
b. wherever SCNs have been issued on gross tax payable, the same may be kept in Call Book till the retrospective amendment in section 50 of the CGST Act is carried out.
4. Difficulty, if any, in the implementation of these instructions may please be brought to the notice of the Board.
Download Instruction Click Here >>
- Empanelment to act as ICAI Exam observers for Nov 2020 CA Exam reopened till 25.10.2020
- Writ Petition filed in Rajasthan High Court for Tax Audit due date extension for AY 2020-21
- Ceiling of allowable partners remuneration u/s 40b and exclusion of interest income
- Date of submission of EO fulfilment document extended for expiring Export Obligation period
- ICAI amends rule for Registration to CA Foundation/Intermediate Course etc.