Procedure to claim refund in FORM GST RFD-01 subsequent to favourable order in appeal or any other forum
Circular No. 111/30/2019 – GST
F.No. CBEC – 20/06/03/2019 – GST
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
GST Policy Wing
New Delhi, the 3rd October, 2019
The Pr. Chief Commissioners / Chief Commissioners / Principal Commissioners / Commissioners
of Central Tax (All)
The Principal Director Generals / Director Generals (All)
Madam / Sir,
Subject: Procedure to claim refund in FORM GST RFD-01 subsequent to favourable order in appeal or any other forum – regarding
Doubts have been raised on the procedure to be followed by a registered person to claim refund subsequent to a favourable order in appeal or any other forum against rejection of a refund claim in FORM GST RFD-06. The matter has been examined and in order to clarify this issue and to ensure uniformity in the implementation of the provisions of the law across field formations, the Board, in exercise of its powers conferred by section 168 (1) of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (hereinafter referred to as “CGST Act”), hereby clarifies the issues raised as below:
2. Appeals against rejection of refund claims are being disposed offline as the electronic module for the same is yet to be made operational. As per rule 93 of the Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 (hereinafter referred to as “CGST Rules”), where an appeal is filed against the rejection of a refund claim, re-crediting of the amount debited from the electronic credit ledger, if any, is not done abcaus.in till the appeal is finally rejected. Therefore, such rejected amount remains debited in respect of the particular refund claim filed in FORM GST RFD-01.
3. In case a favourable order is received by a registered person in appeal or in any other forum in respect of a refund claim rejected through issuance of an order in FORM GST RFD-06, the registered person would file a fresh refund application under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order” claiming refund of the amount allowed in appeal or any other forum. Since the amount debited, if any, at the time of filing of the refund application was not re-credited, the registered person shall not be required to debit the said amount again from his electronic credit ledger at the time of filing of the fresh refund application under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order”. The registered person shall be required to give details of the type of the Order (appeal/any other order), Order No., Order date and the Order Issuing Authority. The registered person would also be required to upload a copy of the order of the Appellate or other authority, copy of the refund rejection order in FORM GST RFD 06 issued by the proper officer or such other order against which appeal has been preferred and other related documents.
4. Upon receipt of the application for refund under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order” the proper officer would sanction the amount of refund as allowed in appeal or in subsequent forum which was originally rejected and shall make an order in FORM GST RFD 06 and issue payment order in FORM GST RFD 05 accordingly. The proper officer disposing the application for refund under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order” shall also ensure re-credit of any amount which remains rejected in the order of the appellate (or any other authority). However, such re-credit shall be made following the guideline as laid down in para 4.2 of Circular no. 59/33/2018 – GST dated 04/09/2018.
5. The above clarifications can be illustrated with the help of an example. Consider a registered person who makes an application for refund of unutilized ITC on account of export to the extent of Rs.100/- and debits the said amount from his electronic credit ledger. The proper officer disposes the application by allowing refund of Rs.70/- and rejecting the refund of Rs. 30/-. However, he does not re credit Rs.30/- since appeal is preferred by the claimant and accordingly FORM GST RFD 01B is not uploaded. Assume that the appellate authority allows refund of only Rs.10/- out of the Rs. 30/- for which the registered person went in appeal. This Rs.10/- shall be claimed afresh under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order” and processed accordingly. However, subsequent to processing of this claim of Rs.10/- the proper officer shall re-credit Rs.20/- to the electronic credit ledger of the claimant, provided that the registered person is not challenging the order in a higher forum. For this purpose, FORM GST RFD 01B under the original ARN which has so far not been uploaded will be uploaded with refund sanctioned amount as Rs.80/- and the amount to be re-credited as Rs. 20/-. In case, the proper officer who rejected the refund claim is not the one who is disposing the application under the category “Refund on account of assessment/provisional assessment/appeal/any other order”, the latter shall communicate to the proper officer who rejected the refund claim to close the ARN as above only after obtaining the undertaking as referred in para 4.2 of Circular no. 59/33/2018 – GST dated 04/09/2018.
6. It is requested that suitable trade notices may be issued to publicize the contents of this circular.
7. Difficulty, if any, in implementation of the above instructions may please be brought to the notice of the Board. Hindi version would follow.
Principal Commissioner (GST)
Download Circular Click Here >>
- CBDT reconstitutes Regional e-Assessment Centers. List of Income-tax Authorities for ReACs
- CBDT Guidelines for implementation of Faceless Assessment Scheme 2019
- Shri GP Garg takes charge as Executive Director SEBI
- CBDT makes massive restructuring in jurisdiction of Income tax Authorities
- CBDT diverts existing posts of IRS to the newly created NeAC Delhi and its ReACs