CBDT may direct filing departmental appeals in exception to monetary limits in organised tax evasion activity.
Circular No. 23 of 2019
F, No . 279/Misc./M-93/2018-ITJ (Pt.)
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board Direct Taxes
New Delhi, 6th September 2019
Subject: -Exception to monetary limits for filing appeals specified in any Circular issued under Section 268A of the Income-tax Act, 1961-reg
Reference is invited to the Circulars issued from time to time by Central Board of Direct Taxes (the Board) under section 268A of the Income-tax Act,1961 (the Act), for laying down monetary limits and other conditions for filing of departmental appeals before Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT), High Courts and SLPs/appeals before Supreme Court.
2. Several references have been received by the Board that in large number of cases where organised tax-evasion scam is noticed through bogus Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG)/Short Term Capital Loss (STCL) on penny stocks and department is unable to pursue the cases in higher judicial fora on account of enhanced monetary It has been reported that in large number of cases, ITATs and High Court have recognized the unique modus operandi involved in such scam and have passed judgements in favour of the revenue. However, in cases where some appellate fora abcaus.in have not given due consideration to position of law or facts investigated by the department, there is no remedy available with the department for filing further appeal in view of the prescribed monetary limits.
3. In this context, Board has decided that notwithstanding anything contained in any circular issued u/s 268A specifying monetary limits for filing of departmental appeals before Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT), High Courts and SLPs/appeals before Supreme Court, appeals may be filed on merits as an exception to said circular, where Board , by way of special order direct filing of appeal on merit in cases involved in organised tax evasion activity.
4. Hindi version follows.
CBDT, New Delhi
1. Chairman, Members and all other officers in CBDT of the rank of Under Secretary and above.
2. All Chief Commissioners of Income tax and all Directors General of Income Tax.
3. ADG (PR, P&P), Mayur Bhawan, New Delhi for printing in the quarterly Tax Bulletin and for circulation as per usual mailing list.
4. The Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
5. ADG (Vigilance), Mayur Bhawan, New Delhi
6. Joint Secretary & Legal Advisor, Ministry of Law & Justice, New Delhi
7. All Directorates of Income-tax, New Delhi and Pr. DGIT(NADT), Nagpur
8. ITCC (3 copies).
9. ADG (System)-4, for uploading on the Department’s website.
10. Data Base Cell for uploading on irsofficersonline.gov.in.
11. firstname.lastname@example.org for uploading on NJRS
12. Hindi Cell for translation .
13. Guard file
Download CBDT Circular No. 23 of 2019 Click Here >>
- MCA amends rules for related party transactions by companies requiring special resolution- Notification
- Form of TDS Returns and Certificate to be issued u/s 194M and 194M – CBDT Notification
- Insolvency resolution and liquidation proceedings of NBFC with asset size of Rs.500 crore or more
- Company Law Committee-2019 submits report. Proposes to decriminalise Companies Act 2013
- GSTP enrolment exam dated 12.12.2019. Registration Portal to be activated on 22.11.2019
addition u/s 68 budget 2017-18 ca misconduct cash deposit in bank CBDT cbdt circular CBDT Instruction cbdt notification cbdt order cbdt press release cgst notification cit revision 263 concealment penalty custom circular demonetisation due date extension e-way bill faq GST circular GST Clarification GST Council Meeting gst faq GSTR-3B GST rates gst refund IBBI icai income tax prosecution itat ITAT Delhi mca circular MCA notification order u/s 119 penalty 271(1)(c) penalty u/s 271(1)(c) Press Release reasons recorded reopening 148 Reopening us 147 sebi circular service tax notification transfer and postings unexplained cash credits validity of notice u/s 148 Withdrawal of 2000 500 Bank Notes----------- Similar Posts: -----------