Applicability of GST on ambulance services provided to Government by private service providers under the National Health Mission (NHM)
F. No. 354/220/2018-TRU
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Tax research Unit
Room No. 146, North Block,
New Delhi, 3tst July, 2018
The Principal Chief Commissioners/ Chief Commissioners/ Principal Commissioners/Commissioner of Central Tax (All)/
The Principal Director Generals/ Director Generals (All) Madam/Sir,
Subject: Applicability of GST on ambulance services provided to Government by private service providers under the National Health Mission (NHM) – Reg.
I am directed to invite your attention to the Circular No. 210/2/2018- Service Tax, dated 30th May, 2018. The said Circular has been issued in the context of service tax exemption contained in notification No . 25/2012- Service Tax dated 20.06.2012 at Sl. No.2 and 25(a). The Circular states, inter alia, that the service of transport ation in ambulance provided by State Governments and private service providers (PSPs) to patients are exempt under notification No . 25/2012- Service Tax dated 20.06.2012 and that ambulance service provided by PSPs to State Governments under National Health Mission is a service provided to Government by way of public health and hence exempted under notification No . 25/2012- Service Tax dated 20.06.2012.
2. The service tax exemption at No.2 of notification No. 25/2012 dated 20.06.2012 has been carried forward under GST in the identical form vide Sl. No . 74 of notification No . 12/2017- CT (R) dated 28.06.2017. The service tax exemption at serial No. 25(a) of notification No. 25/2012 dated 20.06.2012 has also been substantially, although not in the same form, continued under GST vide Sl. No.3 and 3A of the notification No. 12/2017- CT (R) dated 28.6.2017. The said exemption entries under Service Tax and GST notification reads as under:
Sl. No . 2:
(ii) Services provided by way of transportation of a patient in an ambulance, other than those specified in (i) above
|Sl. No. 74:
Services by way of-
(a) health care services by a clinical establishment, an authorized medical practitioner or para-medics;
(b) services provided by way of transportation of a patient in an ambulance other than those specified in (a) above.
Sl. No. 25(a):
Sl. No . 3:
Sl. No. 3A:
3. Functions of Health and sanitation’ is entrusted to Panchayats under Article 243G of the Constitution of India read with Eleventh Schedule. Function of ‘Public health’ is entrusted to Municipalities under Article 243W of the Constitution read with Twelfth schedule to the Constitution. Thus ambulance services are an activity in relation to the functions entrusted to Panchayats and Municipalities under Articles 243G and 243 W of the Constitution.
4. In view of the above, it is clarified that the clarification contained in the Circular No. 210/2/2018-Service Tax dated 30th May, 2018 with regard to the services provided by Government and PSPs by way of transportation of patients in an ambulance is applicable for the purpose of GST also, as the said services are specifically exempt under notification No . 12/2017- Central Tax (Rate) dated 28.06.20 17 vide Sl. No. 74.
5. As regards the service provided by PSPs to the State Governments by way of transportation of patients on behalf of the State Governments against consideration in the form of fee or otherwise charged from the State Government , it is clarified that the same would be exempt under-
a. Sl. No.3 of notification No. 12/2017- Central Tax (Rate) dated 28.06.2017 if it is a pure service and not a composite supply involving supply of any goods, and
b. Sl. No. 3A of notification No. 12/2017- Central Tax (Rate) dated 28.06.2017 if it is a composite supply of goods and services in which the value of supply of goods constitutes not more than 25 per cent of the value of the said composite supply.
6. Difficulty if any, in the implementation of this circular may be brought to the notice of the
Technical Officer (TRU)