Monetary limits for filing of Income Tax appeals before ITAT, High Court and Supreme Court increased further by CBDT. Read Circular
Circular No. 17/2019
F. No. 279/Misc. 142/2007-ITJ(Pt.)
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board Direct Taxes
New Delhi, 8th August 2019
Subject: – Further Enhancement of Monetary limits for filing of appeals by the Department before Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, High Courts and SLPs/appeals before Supreme Court – Amendment to Circular 3 of 2018 – Measures for reducing litigation.
Reference is invited to the Circular No. 3 of 2018 dated 11.07.2018 (the Circular) of Central Board of Direct Taxes (the Board) and its amendment dated 20th August, 2018 vide which monetary limits for filing of income tax appeals by the Department before Income Tax Appellate TribunaL High Courts and SLPs/appeals before Supreme Court have been specified. Representation has also been received that an anomaly in the said circular at para 5 may be removed.
2. As a step towards further management of litigation. it has been decided by the Board that monetary limits for filing of appeals in income-tax cases be enhanced further through amendment in Para 3 of the Circular mentioned above and accordingly, the table for monetary limits specified in Para 3 of the Circular shall read as follows:
|S.No.||Appeals/SLPs in Income-tax matters||Monetary Limit (Rs.)|
|1.||Before Appellate Tribunal||50,00,000/-|
|2.||Before High Court||1,00,00,000/-|
|3.||Before Supreme Court||2,00,00,000/-|
3. Further, with a view to provide parity in filing of appeals in scenarios where separate order is passed by higher appellate authorities for each assessment year vis-a-vis where composite order for more than one assessment years is passed, para 5 of the circular is substituted by the following para:
“5. The Assessing Officer shall calculate the tax effect separately for every assessment year in respect of the disputed issues in the case of every assessee. If, in the case of an assessee, the disputed issues arise in more than one assessment year, appeal can be filed in respect of such assessment year or years in which the tax effect in respect of the disputed issues exceeds the monetary limit specified in para 3. No appeal shall be filed in respect of an assessment year or years in which the tax effect is less than the monetary limit specified in para 3. Further, even in the case of composite order of any High Court or appellate authority which involves more than one assessment year and common issues in more than one assessment year, no appeal shall be filed in respect of an assessment year or years in which the tax effect is less than the monetary limit specified in para 3. In case where a composite order/ judgement involves more than one assessee, each assessee shall be dealt with separately.”
4. The said modifications shall come into effect from the date of issue of this Circular.
5. The same may be brought to the notice of all concerned.
6. This issues under section 268A of the Income-tax 1961.
7. Hindi version will follow.
CBDT, New Delhi
Download CBDT Circular No. 17/2019 Click Here >>
- UDIN by CAs can be generated within 30 days of signing of Audit Report as against 15 days
- MCA 23 FAQs on DIR-3 KYC. Read updated and revised FAQs as on date
- Reference u/s 144BA for impermissible avoidance agreement to be made to approving panel
- Diversion and Transfer/ Postings of IRS to National e-Assessment Centre & Regional Centres
- FCRA Registration-Affidavit must by each office bearer, key functionary & member individually
addition u/s 68 budget 2017-18 ca misconduct cash deposit in bank CBDT cbdt circular CBDT Instruction cbdt notification cbdt order cbdt press release CGST cit revision 263 concealment penalty custom circular demonetisation due date extension e-way bill faq GST circular GST Clarification GST Council Meeting gst faq GSTR-3B GST rates gst refund IBBI icai income tax prosecution itat ITAT Delhi ITC CREDIT MCA notification order u/s 119 penalty 271(1)(c) penalty u/s 271(1)(c) Press Release reasons recorded reopening 148 Reopening us 147 sebi circular service tax notification transfer and postings unexplained cash credits validity of notice u/s 148 Withdrawal of 2000 500 Bank Notes----------- Similar Posts: -----------