No Income tax communications to be issued without a computer-generated Document Identification Number (DIN) on or after 15.10.2019
Circular No. 19/2019
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, dated the 14th August, 2019
Subject: Generation/Allotment/Quoting of Document Identification Number in Notice/Order/Summons/letter/correspondence issued by the Income-tax Department – reg.
With the launch of various e-governance initiatives, Income-tax Department is moving toward total computerization of its work . This has led to a significant improvement in delivery of services and has also brought greater transparency in the functioning of the tax administration. Presently, almost all notices and orders are being generated electronically on the Income Tax Business Application (ITBA) platform. However, it has been brought to the notice of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (the Board ) that there have been some instances in which the notice, order, summons, letter and any correspondence (hereinafter referred to as “communication”) were found to have been issued manually, without maintaining a proper audit trail of such communication.
2. In order to prevent such instances and to maintain proper audit trail of all communication , the Board in exercise of power under section 119 of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (hereinafter referred to as ”the Act”), has decided that no communication shall be issued by any income tax authority relating to assessment, appeals, orders, statutory or otherwise, exemptions, enquiry, investigation, abcaus.in verification of information, penalty, prosecution, rectification, approval etc . to the assessee or any other person, on or after the 15th day of October, 2019 unless a computer-generated Document Identification Number (DIN) has been allotted and is duly quoted in the body of such communication.
3. In exceptional circumstances such as, –
(i) when there are technical difficulties in generating/allotting/quoting the DIN and issuance or communication electronically; or
(ii) when communication regarding enquiry, verification etc. is required to be issued by an income-tax authority, who is outside the office, for discharging his official duties; or
(iii) when due to delay in PAN migration, PAN is lying with non-jurisdictional Assessing Officer ; or
(iv) when PAN of assessee is not available and where a proceeding under the Act (other than verification under section 13 or section 133 of the Act) is sought to be initiated ; or
(v) When the functionality to issue communication is not available in the system.
the communication may be issued manually but only after recording reasons in writing in the file and with prior written approval of the Chief Commissioner / Director General of income tax. In cases where manual communication is required to be issued due to delay in PAN migration. The proposal seeking approval for issuance of manual communication shall include the reason for delay in PAN migration. The communication issued under aforesaid circumstances shall state the fact that the communication is issued manually without a DIN and the date of obtaining of the written approval of the Chief Commissioner / Director General of Income-Tax for issue of manual communication in the following format-
“.. This communication issues manually without a DIN on account of reason/reasons given in para 3(i)/ 3(ii)/ 3(iii)/ 3(iv)/ 3(v) of the CBDT Circular No …dated ….. (strike off those which are not applicable) and with the approval of the Chief Commissioner / Director General of Income Tax vide number …. dated . .. . “
4. Any communication which is not in conformity with Para-2 and Para-3 above, shall be treated as invalid and shall be deemed to have never been issued.
5. The communication issued manually in the three situations specified in para 3- (i), (ii) or (iii) above shall have to be regularised within 15 working days of its issuance, by –
(i) uploading the manual communication on the
(ii) compulsorily generating the DIN on the System ;
(iii) communicating the DIN so generated to the assessee / any other person as per electronically generated pro-forma available on the System.
6. An intimation of issuance of manual communication for the reasons mentioned in para 3(v) shall be sent to the Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) within seven days from the date of its issuance.
7. Further, in all pending assessment proceedings, where notices were issued manually, prior to issuance of this Circular , the income-tax authorities shall identify such cases and shall upload the notices in these cases on the Systems by 31st October , 2019.
8. Hindi version to follow .
Director (ITA.II), CBDT
Download CBDT Circular Click Here >>
- Forms available on GST Portal for download by Taxpayers & Tax Officials as on 12.12.2019
- The Taxation Laws (Amendment) Act 2019. Read / Download Full Text
- Sabka Vishwas Legacy Dispute Resolution Scheme, 2019 – Clarifications
- CBDT promoted 97 officers to the grade of PCIT. Read order and new postings
- NFRA issues Audit Quality Review report of statutory audit for 2017-18 of IL&FS Financial Services Ltd.
addition u/s 68 budget 2017-18 ca misconduct cash deposit in bank CBDT cbdt circular CBDT Instruction cbdt notification cbdt order cbdt press release cgst notification cit revision 263 concealment penalty custom circular demonetisation due date extension e-way bill faq GST circular GST Clarification GST Council Meeting gst faq GSTR-3B GST rates gst refund IBBI icai income tax prosecution itat ITAT Delhi mca circular MCA notification order u/s 119 penalty 271(1)(c) penalty u/s 271(1)(c) Press Release reasons recorded reopening 148 Reopening us 147 sebi circular service tax notification transfer and postings unexplained cash credits validity of notice u/s 148 Withdrawal of 2000 500 Bank Notes----------- Similar Posts: -----------