A Bilateral Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) pilot program has commenced between the Indian Patent Office (IPO) and the Japan Patent Office (JPO). The guidelines in this regard have been published on the website of Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks.
The said guidelines are issued to address the procedures that applicants need to take to request expedited examination. Applicants can request expedited examination by a prescribed procedure including submission of relevant documents on an application which is filed with the Office of Later Examination (OLE) and satisfies the requirements described in these guidelines under the PPH pilot program between IPO and JPO based on the application which is determined to be patentable by the Office of Earlier Examination (OEE).When filing a request for the PPH pilot program, an applicant must submit informationin the prescribed Form presented in Chapter 5 of these guidelines, to the OLE. Following points are to be noted while submitting a request to IPO under the said PPH program:
- The number of the requests for the PPH in IPO will be limited to 100 cases per year on first come first serve basis.
- An applicant who has filed a patent application, either alone or jointly with any other applicant, shall not file more than 10 PPH requests to IPO per year
- Request for assigning special status for expedited examination under the PPH is required to be filed online in prescribed form 5-1 under chapter 5 of the PPH guidelines
- An applicant/Authorized agent can file the request for expedited examination on Form 18A ONLY AFTER THE REQUEST FOR ASSIGNING SPECIAL STATUS FILED ON FORM PRESCRIBED IN CHAPTER 5 IS ACCEPTEDBY IPO. The decision on Acceptance/Rejection/Defect noticed shall be communicated to the Applicant/Authorized agent through email as well as message on e-filing portal.
- In case of defects in form 5-1 the applicant will be provided opportunity to rectify the defects within 30 days from the issue of notification of defects by IPO.
- Notwithstanding the above procedure, the timelines for filing a request for expedited examination shall be as prescribed under the Patents Rules, 2003.
The e-filing of form 5-1 under Chapter 5 of PPH guidelines shall commence on: 5th December 2019, 10:00AM (IST)
Download Patent Prosecution Highway PPH_Procedure Guidelines Click Here >>
- Verification of applicable TDS rates u/s 194N on Cash Withdrawals-CBDT provides Utility/facility
- ICAI announces Capacity Building Initiatives for Chartered Accountant in Practice
- Corona Kavach Policy – IRDAI’s launches Individual Covid Standard Health Policy
- Processing of ITRs with refund claims u/s 143(1) up to AY 2017-18 CBDT extends time to 31.10.2020
- Land received on HUF partition was itself stock in trade, hence no conversion u/s 45(2)