Refund of accumulated ITC restricted to invoices uploaded by supplier in FORM GSTR-1 and reflected in FORM GSTR-2A of applicant
Circular No. 139/09/2020-GST
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
GST Policy Wing
New Delhi, Dated the 10th June, 2020
The Principal Chief Commissioners/Chief Commissioners/Principal Commissioners/ Commissioners of Central Tax (All)
The Principal Director Generals/ Director Generals (All)
Subject: Clarification on refund related issues – reg.
Various representations have been received seeking clarification on the issue relating to refund of accumulated ITC in respect of invoices whose details are not reflected in the FORM GSTR-2A of the applicant. In order to clarify these issues and to ensure uniformity in the implementation of the provisions of law in this regard across the field formations, the Board, in exercise of its powers conferred by section 168 (1) of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (hereinafter referred to as “CGST Act”), hereby clarifies the issues detailed hereunder:
2. Circular No.135/05/2020 – GST dated the 31st March, 2020 states that:
“5. Guidelines for refunds of Input Tax Credit under Section 54(3)
5.1 In terms of para 36 of circular No. 125/44/2019-GST dated 18.11.2019, the refund of ITC availed in respect of invoices not reflected in FORM GSTR-2A was also admissible and copies of such invoices were required to be uploaded. However, in wake of insertion of sub-rule (4) to rule 36 of the CGST Rules, 2017 vide notification No. 49/2019-GST dated 09.10.2019, various references have been received from the field formations regarding admissibility of refund of the ITC availed on the invoices which are not reflecting in the FORM GSTR-2A of the applicant.
5.2 The matter has been examined and it has been decided that the refund of accumulated ITC shall be restricted to the ITC as per those invoices, the details of which are uploaded by the supplier in FORM GSTR-1 and are reflected in the FORM GSTR-2A of the applicant. Accordingly, para 36 of the circular No. 125/44/2019-GST, dated 18.11.2019 stands modified to that extent.”
3.1 Representations have been received that in some cases, refund sanctioning authorities have rejected the refund of accumulated ITC is respect of ITC availed on Imports, ISD invoices, RCM etc. citing the above-mentioned Circular on the basis that the details of the said invoices/ documents are not reflected in FORM GSTR-2A of the applicant.
3.2 In this context it is noteworthy that before the issuance of Circular No. 135/05/2020-GST dated 31st March, 2020, refund was being granted even in respect of credit availed on the strength of missing invoices (not reflected in FORM GSTR-2A) which were uploaded by the applicant along with the refund application on the common portal. However, vide Circular No.135/05/2020 – GST dated the 31st March, 2020, the refund related to these missing invoices has been restricted. Now, the refund of accumulated ITC shall be restricted to the ITC available on those invoices, the details of which are uploaded by the supplier in FORM GSTR-1 and are reflected in the FORM GSTR-2A of the applicant.
4. The aforesaid circular does not in any way impact the refund of ITC availed on the invoices / documents relating to imports, ISD invoices and the inward supplies liable to Reverse Charge (RCM supplies) etc.. It is hereby clarified that the treatment of refund of such ITC relating to imports, ISD invoices and the inward supplies liable to Reverse Charge (RCM supplies) will continue to be same as it was before the issuance of Circular No. 135/05/2020-GST dated 31st March, 2020.
5. It is requested that suitable trade notices may be issued to publicize the contents of this circular.
6. Difficulty, if any, in implementation of this Circular may please be brought to the notice of the Board. Hindi version would follow.
Download Circular Click Here >>
- No prosecution u/s 275B when laptops & ERP user IDs /passwords provided to search party
- ICAI cancels/restores membership of thousands of CAs due to death/non payment of fee
- NSDL latest e-TDS TCS RPU Version 4.9 and FVU 8.4 applicable from 24.11.2023 – Download
- Procedures/provisions for amnesty for taxpayers who missed GST appeal filing deadline
- Exemption u/s 54F-Bar of holding more than one residential house applies to whole day of transfer