Penalty for passing on unreasonable benefits to trustee or specified persons of charitable Institutions – New Section 271AAE introduced by Union Budget 2022-23
Under section 13 of the Act, trusts/charitable institutions are required not to pass on any unreasonable benefit to the trustee or any other specified person.
In order to discourage such misuse of the funds of the trust or institution by specified persons, it is proposed to insert a new section 271AAE in the Act to provide for penalty on trusts or institution.
The penalty u/s 271AAE shall be equal to amount of income applied (100 percent) by such trust or institution for the benefit of specified person where the violation is noticed for the first time during any previous year and twice the amount (200 percent) of such income where the violation is notice again in any subsequent year.
The proposed section shall operate without prejudice to any other provision of chapter XXI. Thus, if any penalty is leviable under any of the other provisions of this chapter, in addition to the proposed penalty, that penalty would also be applicable.
These amendments will take effect from 1st April, 2023 and will accordingly apply in relation to the assessment year 2023-24 and subsequent assessment years.
Download Finance Minister’s Speech >>
Download Budget Highlights (Key Features)
Download Finance Bill
- MCA further relaxes additional fees for filing Annual Return by LLPs upto 15.07.2022
- CBDT revises jurisdiction of Chief Commissioner of Income-tax New Delhi and Mumbai
- ALP u/s 92C allowable variation limits notified for AY 2022-23
- 47th GST Council Meeting Recommendations. Increased rates effective from 18th July 2022
- Higher consumption of electricity by itself no ground of suppression of production