Revised Custom procedure for import clearance of pets/live animals including cats & dogs. steps for importers/Airlines before arrival
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
(Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs)
Room No. 229B, North Block,
New Delhi, Dated the 10th of August, 2020
All Principal Chief Commissioners/ Chief Commissioners of Customs/ Customs (Preventive),
All Principal Chief Commissioners/ Chief Commissioners of Customs & Central tax,
All Principal Commissioners/ Commissioners of Customs/ Customs (Preventive),
All Principal Commissioners/ Commissioners of Customs & Central tax,
Subject: Revised procedure for Import of Pets/ Live Animals-reg.
Attention is invited to Board’s Circular 9/2002-Cus dated 30.01.2002, 94/2002-Cus dated 23.12.2002, 15/2013-Cus dated 8.4.2013 and 25/2013-Cus dated 1.7.2013. The above Circulars have laid out a process relating to import of Pet/ Live Animals including cat and dog in various scenarios such as import by passengers in general, import by passengers under Transfer of Residence in terms of Baggage Rules 1998, Re-import etc.
2. Now the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying (DAHD) has issued Office Memorandum dated 15.07.2020 vide F. No. L-110110/26/2019-Trade(E-14194) prescribing procedure for import of Live Animals in general and also for import of pets (only Dogs and Cats) as baggage/Personal imports by Passengers. The Relevant portion is reproduced for ease of reference:
“for “Ease of Understanding and Doing Business” as well as streamlining the complete process of import of live animals into lndia by the importers, the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); Process for import; Application Form for obtaining advance No Objection Certificate from AQCS; Veterinary Health Certificate format to fulfill lndian requirements; format for advance No Objection Certificate; format for Physical Examination of Pet at port of arrival; format for Physical Examination of the pet/animals during Quarantine period at AQCS; format for final No Objection Certificate, etc. have been standardized for import of live animals including pets into lndia and are annexed herewith. The details of post-import tests and name of laboratories where required tests will be done, has also been mentioned”.
|Sl No.||Scenario||Procedure to be adopted before arrival|
|1||Maximum of 2 Pets(only dog and cat)brought with passengers eligible and availing Transfer of Residence after 2 years stay abroad||
1. Passenger to ensure eligibility about transfer of residence under Baggage Rules,2016
2. Passenger to obtain Veterinary Health Certificate from Country of Export as per the above said O.M.(For Ease of Reference, Format from the said O.M is given as Annex 1 & 2 for Dogs and Cats respectively.)
3. Passenger to apply for advance NOC to AQCS and obtain the same.
4. Airline will not lift the live animals until advance NOC from AQCS is obtained by the passenger
|2.||Re-Import of pets by passengers||
1. Passenger to ensure that he possesses copy of earlier Veterinary Health Certificate for export issued by AQCS India.
2. Passenger to obtain veterinary Health Certificate from Country of Export as per the above said O.M. (For Ease of Reference Form at from the said O.M is given as Annex 1 & 2 for Dogs and Cats respectively.)
3. Passenger to apply for advance NOC to AQCS and obtain the same.4.Airline will not lift the live animal until advance NOC from AQCS is obtained by the passenger
All cases other than those mentioned at Sl. 1 & 2 above including:
i.Pets brought by the passengers for short stay.
ii. Import of Commercial Dogs for Commercial purpose (For R&D purpose with recommendation of CPCSEA/Security purpose)
1. Importer to obtain Veterinary Health Certificate from Country of Exportas per format in the above said O.M
2. Importer to obtain Import License from DGFT.
3.Importer to apply for advance NOC to AQCS and obtain the same.
4. Airline will not lift the live animal until advance NOC from AQCS is obtained by the Importer.
Veterinary Health Certificate for Import of Pet Dogs into India
Veterinary Health Certificate for Import of Pet Cats into India
Download Circular Click Here >>
- MCA further relaxes additional fees for filing Annual Return by LLPs upto 15.07.2022
- CBDT revises jurisdiction of Chief Commissioner of Income-tax New Delhi and Mumbai
- ALP u/s 92C allowable variation limits notified for AY 2022-23
- 47th GST Council Meeting Recommendations. Increased rates effective from 18th July 2022
- Higher consumption of electricity by itself no ground of suppression of production