National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self Employed Persons
The Prime Minister of India has launched the National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self Employed Persons, a pension scheme for the Vyaparis (shopkeepers/retail traders and self-employed persons) with annual turnover not exceeding Rs 1.5 crore.
With this nation-wide launch, the facility for enrollment under the scheme has been made available to the prospective beneficiaries through 3.50 lakh Common Service Center (CSCs) across the country. In addition people can also self-enroll by visiting the portal www.maandhan.in/vyapari. The eligible Vyaparis can visit their nearest CSCs and get enrolled under the scheme. At the time of enrollment, the beneficiary is required to have an Aadhaar card and a saving bank/ Jan-dhan Account passbook only. He/ She should be within 18 to 40 years of age group.
GSTIN is required only for those with turnover above Rs. 40 lakhs. The enrolment under the scheme is free of cost for the beneficiaries. The enrolment is based upon self-certification.
National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self Employed Persons
National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self Employed Persons Yojana is a government scheme meant for old age protection and social security of Small Scale Traders and Retailers.
Vyaparis, who are self-employed and are working as shop owners, retail traders, rice mill owners, oil mill owners, workshop owners, commission agents, brokers of real estate, owners of small hotels, restaurants and other Vyaparis with similar occupations whose annual turnover does not exceed Rs 1.5 crore are eligible to get benefit under the scheme.
It is a voluntary and contributory pension scheme under which the subscriber would receive a minimum assured pension of Rs 3000/- per month after attaining the age of 60 years and if the subscriber dies, the spouse of the beneficiary shall be entitled to receive 50% of the pension as family pension. Family pension is applicable only to spouse.
- On the maturity of the scheme, an individual will be entitled to obtain a monthly pension of Rs. 3000/-. The pension amount helps pension holders to aid their financial requirements.
- The scheme is a tribute to the workers in the Unorganized sectors who contribute around 50 per cent of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The applicants between the age group of 18 to 40 years will have to make monthly contributions ranging between Rs 55 to Rs 200 per month till they attain the age of 60.
- Once the applicant attains the age of 60, he/ she can claim the pension amount. Every month a fixed pension amount gets deposited in the pension account of the respective individual.
- For self employed shop owners, retail owners and other vyaparis
- Entry age between 18 to 40 years
- Annual turnover should not exceed Rs 1.5 crore
Should not be
- Covered under any National Pension Scheme contributed by the Central Government or member of EPFO/NPS/ESIC
- An income tax payer
- Enroled under Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maandhan Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maandhan Yojana administered by the Ministry of Labour & Employment or Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, respectively
He/ She should possess
- Aadhaar card
- Savings Bank Account number with IFSC
- Assured Pension of Rs. 3000/- month
- Voluntary and Contributory Pension Scheme
- Matching Contribution by the Government of India
Benefits to the family on death of an eligible subscriber
During the receipt of pension, if an eligible subscriber dies, his spouse shall be only entitled to receive fifty per cent of the pension received by such eligible subscriber, as family pension and such family pension shall be applicable only to the spouse.
Benefits on disablement
If an eligible subscriber has given regular contributions and become permanently disabled due to any cause before attaining his age of 60 years, and is unable to continue to contribute under this Scheme, his spouse shall be entitled to continue with the Scheme subsequently by payment of regular contribution as applicable or exit the Scheme by receiving the share of contribution deposited by such subscriber, with interest as actually earned thereon by the Pension Fund or the interest at the savings bank interest rate thereon, whichever is higher.
Benefits on Leaving the Pension Scheme
- In case an eligible subscriber exits this Scheme within a period of less than ten years from the date of joining the Scheme by him, then the share of contribution by him only will be returned to him with savings bank rate of interest payable thereon.
- If an eligible subscriber exits after completion of a period of ten years or more from the date of joining the Scheme by him but before his age of sixty years, then his share of contribution only shall be returned to him along with accumulated interest thereon as actually earned by the Pension Fund or the interest at the savings bank interest rate thereon, whichever is higher.
- If an eligible subscriber has given regular contributions and died due to any cause, his spouse shall be entitled to continue with the Scheme subsequently by payment of regular contribution as applicable or exit by receiving the share of contribution paid by such subscriber along with accumulated interest, as actually earned thereon by the Pension Fund or at the savings bank interest rate thereon, whichever is higher
- After death of subscriber and his or her spouse, the corpus shall be credited back to the fund.
Entry age specific monthly contribution
|Entry Age (Yrs)
|Member’s monthly contribution (Rs)
|Central Govt’s monthly contribution (Rs)
|Total monthly contribution (Rs)
(Total = C + D)
How to Apply
Interested eligible person shall visit nearest CSC centre.
Following are the prerequisites for the enrollment process:
- Aadhaar Card
- Savings/Jan Dhan Bank Account details along with IFSC Code ( Bank Passbook or Cheque Leave/book or copy of bank statement as evidence of bank account )
Initial contribution amount in cash will be made to the Village Level Entrepreneur (VLE).
The VLE will key-in the Aadhaar number, Name of subscriber and Date of birth as printed on aadhaar card for authentication.
The VLE will complete the online registration by filling up the details like Bank Account details, Mobile Number, Email Address, GSTIN, Annual Turnover Income, Spouse (if any) and Nominee details.
Self-certification for eligibility conditions will be done.
System will auto calculate monthly contribution payable according to age of the Subscriber.
Subscriber will pay the 1st subscription amount in cash to the VLE.
Enrollment cum Auto Debit mandate form will be printed and will be further signed by the subscriber. VLE will scan the same and upload it into the system.
A unique Vyapari Pension Account Number (VPAN) will be generated and Vyapari Card will be printed.
- Carrying original vehicle papers not must if kept in DigiLocker or mParivahan app
- Last date extended for submission of ICAI online MEF Application Form for 2019-20 to 30.09.2019
- The Taxation Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2019. List of Amendments in income-tax act & Finance Act
- Corporate tax rates slashed to 22% for domestic cos & 15% for new domestic manufacturing cos
- RBI revised guidelines for concurrent audit of banks. Accountability to be fixed in serious omission/ commission