Scrutiny Guidelines for invalid returns selected through CASS Cycle 2018. AO to drop proceedings u/s 143(2) and reopen the case by issue of notice u/s 148
F. No. 225/333/2019/ITA-II
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
North Block, New Delhi,
Dated, the 29th of November, 2019
All Pr. Chief-Commissioners of Income Tax/
All Pr. Directors General of Income Tax
Subject :- Guidelines for scrutiny of invalid returns selected through CASS Cycle- 2018- reg.
Kindly refer to the above.
2. It has been brought to the notice of Board that notices under section 143(2) of the Income-tax Act, 1961(‘Act’) were generated in respect of certain invalid returns of the assessees filed for the Assessment Year 2017-18 through CASS Cycle As the scrutiny of such returns will pose a challenge for the AO and is bad in law, I am directed to state that Assessing Officers shall drop the proceedings u/s 143(2) of the Act in such cases and reopen the same by issue of notice under section 148 of the Act.
3. This issues with the approval of Chairman, CBDT.
Under Secretary (ITA-II), CBDT
- Addl. CIT (DBC) for uploading on irsofficersonline.
- IDS Scheme 2016 – Payment of tax/interest/penalty on undisclosed income may be made till 31.01.2020
- Forms available on GST Portal for download by Taxpayers & Tax Officials as on 12.12.2019
- The Taxation Laws (Amendment) Act 2019. Read / Download Full Text
- Sabka Vishwas Legacy Dispute Resolution Scheme, 2019 – Clarifications
- CBDT promoted 97 officers to the grade of PCIT. Read order and new postings