Family of deceased members of PF to receive Rs. 7 lakhs as insurance benefit under EDLI.
Ministry of Labour and Employment recently amended the Employees’ Deposit-Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976. By the said amendment the maximum assurance benefit payable upon the death of the employee under EDLI Scheme has been enhanced to Rs. 7 lakh from earlier maximum limit of Rs. 6 lakh. The salary multiple shall be 35 for working out the amount.
Though the notification issued in this regard does not mention covid-19 as the reason for the enhancement, apparently, the benefit has been enhanced to help private sector employees who died due to covid-19 pandemic .
The other changes are:
- The minimum assurance benefit payable under the scheme has been fixed as Rs. 2.50 lakhs w.e.f. 15.02.2020
- The beieft payable under EDLI Scheme shall be extended to such beneficiaries where the deceased employee was a member of the Fund or a provident fund exempted under section 17 of the EPF & MP Act and was in employment for a continuous period of 12 months preceding the month in which he died, irrespective of change of establishment during the said period.
The above provisions shall remain effective for three years
- Under EDLI Scheme, the power to grant exemption to a class of employees from the provisions of the scheme has been delegated to ACC(Zone).
- The monetary fine payable under paragraph 29 of EDLI Scheme has been enhanced to Rs. 25,000.
Download Notification and EPFO letter Click Here >>
- Faceless Assessment quashed, no password sent to join video conferencing
- GSTN launched new & improved version of GSTR-1 which allows saving GSTR-1 details
- Import and export in rough diamonds. Registration with Gems & Jewellery EPC compulsory
- Vulnerability in PNB server as reported by CyberX9 – PNB denies breach
- RBI cautions against various Co-operative societies using word “Bank” in their names